Zab in London | Days N° 4-5

Thursday, August 1, 2013

Sorry it's been a day or two since I last checked in! Honestly, there hasn't been anything terribly exciting to report... I've been spending most of my days on the LSE campus, and most of my evenings studying.

View from the top of the New Academic Building   
I have been getting to know the LSE campus a little better, which is good. It's actually pretty tricky: the little alleyways between buildings are convoluted and difficult to remember. I guess that's just one of the consequences of being in an old city like this. My classes are in a big theatre in Clement House, which is right on Aldwych and the Kingsway, a couple doors down from the Delaunay, and a few blocks from the Thames. LSE has older buildings and new buildings, some under construction at the moment, but they're all very nice and well kept. This photo was taken on the rooftop pavilion of the New Academic Building, which is one of the most environmentally friendly buildings in London and is really beautiful and new. The top floor is dedicated to quiet study but is made up of big glass windows, outdoor seating, and a balcony, and has excellent views of London.

LSE's mascot in front of Waterstones
I've also stopped in Waterstones, the famous British bookshop.  The LSE Student Union has a shop with LSE items in the centre of campus, and I had to get an LSE sweatshirt so I can show off when I'm back at William & Mary! I haven't had the time to do any intense shopping trips yet (note: yet), just stopping in here and there. I couldn't resist getting a commemorative Prince George mug at a souvenir shop: 'A Royal Baby, 2013'. Too funny! They have dining sets and puzzles, keychains and onesies... I don't blame them, though. I'm jealous that the British have this beautiful royal family to fawn over!

On Friday, though, I have the afternoon off (no lecture!) and have quite a busy itinerary for the day. When I get out of class, I plan on finally going to see 221B Baker St - I went early one
I couldn't help it: Prince George memorabilia! 
morning this week as soon as it opened to try to get in before my 11:00 class, but there was already a line with at least a hundred people in it, so I had to give up and head off to class. After visiting Sherlock Holmes' flat tomorrow, I would like to go to Oxford Street or Knightsbridge to do some real shopping, at Topshop and H&M. Then when I get back that evening, I'll need to take a nap, because much later that night I'm going with some other students to the Ministry of Sound! This is one of London's premier clubs, and LSE students were able to get a discount on admission tomorrow evening. And then the rest of my weekend will be dedicated to studying!

But for now, I'm in my room doing schoolwork. Learning so much material (in such a difficult subject!) over a short period of time is rough. I am essentially in class four hours a day, and the professor speeds through the material. Each individual lecture during summer school is equivalent to at least a week of 'real' class during the fall or spring semester, so there's a massive amount of material to go through each day. And I don't have much time to review and make sure I know everything: the next morning, it's on to a new topic!  I've been spending most of my nights going back over the problems and formulas and examples that we're supposed to know, but the volume of material is so great that I'll be lucky if I can remember half of it by next week.

My lovely sister Emily made my day a lot better by sending a really wonderful care package to my residence hall! It's been surprisingly hard to find granola bars here (I know, weird... but most of the 'granola bars' here are sweet yoghurt bars and such, not the uber-healthy KIND and Two-Moms-in-the-Raw bars that I love in the US), and it's always difficult to find healthy snacks. These are perfect for running off to class and bringing with for a snack... I've just been buying sweets at coffee shops this past week. Not the greatest option!

I'm sorry there's nothing more exciting to report, but my days this week have been filled with school. During the weekends I'll have more time to tour and shop, but right now studying and figuring out British quirks have taken up all my time. I'm getting the hang of central London and some of the everyday British lingo, so as not to look like a complete fool, but adjusting to living in downtown London is almost enough to worry about on its own!

No comments :

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground