recipe: homemade lavender soda!

Sunday, June 30, 2013



A couple of months ago at my favourite grocery store, I spotted a new product on the shelves: lavender soda. Despite the fact that it cost more than $5 for a pack of four sodas, I tried it out... and was wowed. Lavender soda is lightly sweet, very unique tasting, and absolutely perfect for summer. But the cost of this luxe soda kept me from drinking it regularly.

I bartend at a small, locally-owned restaurant in Virginia, and one my managers featured a Lavender Collins as a cocktail special this summer, with lavender syrup, gin, lime, and soda water. I was making some of the lavender syrup for this drink, and eureka! I subtracted the gin, and concocted my own homemade lavender soda. It was better than the one in the store. This has quickly become my (and my friends and family's) favourite summertime drink. It is crisp, very lightly sweet, and perfectly refreshing.

Here's my recipe for delicious homemade lavender soda!

Ingredients:
  • 20-30 stalks of fresh lavender (if you don't grow your own, grocery stores sell it in their produce section in small containers)
  • 1 cup of sugar (don't worry, it doesn't all go into one drink!!!)
  • 1 cup of water
  • Soda water (club soda)
  • Fresh lime

Method:
Rinse the fresh lavender and pat dry on a paper towel.

To make a lavender simple syrup, combine the sugar and water into a small pot and heat over the stove on high until the sugar dissolves. Stir, then remove from heat and allow to cool. While the simple syrup is cooling, add the stalks of lavender (the whole stalks are fine!) and put in the fridge to cool for at least several hours. The longer you leave the lavender in, the stronger its flavour will become.

When the lavender has steeped into the syrup and cooled, pour a tablespoon or two (depending on how sweet you want your soda) over ice in a glass. Squeeze a lime wedge into the glass, and fill the rest with soda water. Mix gently, and garnish with a lime.

Super easy! Keep the rest of the lavender syrup in the fridge and just keep mixing small amounts with soda water and lime whenever you want a fresh drink - or make a whole pitcher! It will last for a week or more if refrigerated. I promise, you'll quickly become addicted. Enjoy!!

No comments :

Proudly designed by Mlekoshi playground